[Histonet] CD3 clean with RB monos

Marvin Hanna mhanna <@t> histosearch.com
Mon Apr 23 06:05:50 CDT 2007

Hi Rena,

I think it mainly has to do with a rabbit antibody's greater affinity
for human tissue versus mouse antibodies. We seem to be closer to
rabbits on an evolutionary scale than mice. Up until recently, all
rabbit antibodies have been made by injecting rabbits with the
antigen, which produces polyclonal antibodies, a mixture of
antibodies targeting that antigen. A few years ago, researchers
developed the technology to manufacture rabbit monoclonal antibodies
using hybridomas, the method used to manufacture mouse monoclonals,
which produces antibodies with greater specificity, a single clone.
So, a rabbit monoclonal can have the same specificity as a mouse
monoclonal, with up to a 10 times greater affinity for it's human
target.

I've visited a few hundred IHC labs over the last few years and
utilized rabbit monoclonals in many of them. Consistently, histotechs
and pathologists commented on the cleaner backgrounds and stronger
intensity with them. I assume the greater affinity for human targets
means a less affinity for anything that is not the intended target,
creating less background. The promise of a new round of antibodies
with a 10 times greater affinity for their targets could be a big
benefit for IHC labs and cancer patients.

There is also research work going on to use rabbit monoclonals
therapeutically. With the successes so far in IHC, it makes you
wonder if drugs like Genetech's Herceptin, which is a mouse
monoclonal that blocks the her2 gene and has been shown to double the
chance of survival of patients who take it, could be even more
successful as a rabbit monoclonal.

Best Regards,

Marvin Hanna