[Histonet] Zinc Formalin fixation

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Tue Apr 17 10:08:37 CDT 2007

We never had a problem with tissue being brittle after fixation with the
commercial Anatech zinc formalin (buffered) although I have heard others
complain about this along with Liz's comments about precipitation problems,
maybe in house prepared zinc formalin?  However, the zinc TRIS buffer
fixative, that is FORMALIN FREE, for CD marker immunohistochemistry
(Beckstead, J Histochem Cytochem) made tissues terrible brittle.

At 12:41 AM 4/17/2007, you wrote:
>Zinc also mordents haematoxylin resulting in a very intense nuclear
>stain; makes tissue brittle too.
>
>Kemlo Rogerson
>Pathology Manager
>DD   01934 647057 or extension 3311