[Histonet] Zinc Formalin and Iron stains

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Mon Apr 16 13:59:26 CDT 2007

We have used zinc formalin, although it was Anatech's buffered zinc
formalin formulation, and had wonderful results on human kidney biopsies -
excellent morphology and no exploded cells that the pathologist could
see.  He loved the results.   The sections cut at 1 - 2 um.  When we tried
this fixative on animal tissues, we also had great success.  Could it be it
was a zinc formalin that was NOT buffered correctly or even at all that
caused the exploding cells?

As for iron staining after zinc formalin, not sure what the results are.
However, you should speak to Anatech, in particular, Ada Feldman, she could
let you know if iron staining is compromised by this fixative.

At 12:32 PM 4/16/2007, you wrote:
>I don't know, we only use 10% NBF for bone marrows here, but I've seen a
>video of some cells getting fixed with zinc formalin.  The cells were
>popping and exploding all over the place.  Made me think, "no wonder you
>get that great nuclear detail."

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor