[Histonet] why do we use xylene? was - Peloris Processor and isopropanol

Barbara Bublava barbara.bublava <@t> meduniwien.ac.at
Fri Apr 6 00:53:58 CDT 2007

Dear Histonetters, Hallo Gudrun,

In 1968 Romeis (german book about Microscopic Techiniques) named
Isopropanol as an Intermedium when used at 56°C.

In a later edition ( I dont have it by hand right now) he once more
mentions the potential of Isopropanol.
Searching Histonet archives or Google also gives some results

One protocol suggested isopropanol with 50°C at the last
change and then going directly to paraffin. I did try that and neither
me nor my pathologist could see differences to usual xylene processing
(on autopsy material; HE, Trichrome; Chloroacetate Esterase, Prussian Blue).

For me it sounds too good to be true.  I am afraid of missing something
important because IF it is that easy - why do we all use hazardous
xylene or expensive and smelly substitutes on our processors?

Maybe someone out there can tell us why isopropanol isn´t the
intermedium of choice?

Barbara Bublava
Dep. of Forensic Medicine
Vienna, Austria