[Histonet] Help in brain tisuue processing

Geoff McAuliffe mcauliff <@t> umdnj.edu
Mon Apr 2 09:36:07 CDT 2007

Greetings Leila

If you are fixing the whole brain by immersion the interior morphology
won't be very good. I suggest cutting the brain into 1 cm slices and
fixing these for 1-2 weeks. You will be able to see enough of the
anatomy to know the order of the slices.
If you must process the brain whole you will need to fix by vascular
perfusion to see much (any) of the interior anatomy and your processing
will have to be much longer.
The rest of your schedule does not allow enough time for dehydration,
especially on a whole brain. The tissue does not stick to the slides
because it was not properly dehydrated so the paraffin does not infiltrate.
On the other hand, all night in hot paraffin is too long and produces
brittle tissue.

I suggest the following for 1 cm slices, not a whole goat brain.
After fixation, wash in water for several hours or overnight.
50% ethanol 1-2 hours. Agitation of the tissue duringhis and subsequent
steps is highly desirable.
70% ethanol 1-2 hours.
95% ethanol 1 hour.
100% ethanol 2 changes 1 hour each.
1:1 mix of 100% ethanol:xylene 1 hour.
Xylene, 2 changes 1 hour each.
3 changes of melted paraffin, under vacuum if possible, 45 min each.
Heat the wax only a few degrees above the melting point.
Embed

--
--
Geoff McAuliffe, Ph.D.