[Histonet] Flash Freezing Brain

David Finkelstein dfinkelstein <@t> mhri.edu.au
Thu Oct 26 17:18:06 CDT 2006

Dear acjanes <@t> bu.edu,

Your poor brains!!  ;)
Holes in frozen tissue = freeze fracture.
Never store brains at -20 only at -80c.
I agree with the other comments about how to freeze onto the chuck with Oct.

For long term storage of fixed brain (remember the brain will continue to
slowly fix in the freezer, so the time depends on the antigen).
1) place brain on small piece of foil or piece of plastic weigh boat.
2) place a separate piece of foil with label on dry ice.
3) lower the brain into the vapours of the liquid nitrogen just\on or above
the liquid level.  Use long plastic forceps.  You don't wont to freeze it
too long or too quickly or it will crack.
4) quickly transfer the brain onto the  foil in dry ice.  Do not let the
brain warm up by touching it with your fingers.
5) drop foiled brain in a plastic bag, place immediately onto dry ice and
then -80 freezer.

Assoc. Professor David Finkelstein,
The Mental Health Research Institute of Victoria,
155 Oak Street, Parkville, Victoria 3052
AUSTRALIA
Mobile: 0409171227
Tel: +61 (03) 9388 1633
Fax: +61 (03) 9387 5061