[Histonet] Gomori's trichrome problem

Smith, Allen asmith <@t> mail.barry.edu
Wed Oct 25 14:21:15 CDT 2006

Distilled water is a poor rinse for trichromes; 0.5% aqueous acetic acid is
MUCH better.

Allen A. Smith, Ph.D.
Professor of Anatomy
Barry University School of Graduate Medical Sciences
    Podiatric Medicine and Surgery
Miami Shores, Florida  33161

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Kathy.Johnston <@t> CLS.ab.ca
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2006 1:21 PM
To: Allison_Scott <@t> hchd.tmc.edu; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Gomori's trichrome problem

Hi Allison!

Without knowing which dyes your kit is employing, I would have to say the
lack of an aqueous rinse of some sort is your culprit.  Regardless whether
you have an Aniline Blue or Light green collagen stain component, all of the
dyes in your typical Gomori one step are far more soluble in water than
alcohol.  The Aniline Blue is probably the worst of the batch being barely
soluble in alcohol.  We use a 1% Acetic Acid rinse (approx 5 dips) to rinse
most of the dyes off before putting it in 95% ETOH then 100% ETOH and up to
Xylene. We also have charged slides in our runs and they work fine for us.

If you don't want to stock that extra reagent, just give them a quick swish
in dH2O before you run them up thru ETOH.

You will also see this phenomenon in your Retics if you forget to rinse off
your Nuclear fast red (found that out the hard way!).

Hope this might help!  Good Luck!

Kathy Johnston
Tech II Special Stains
Anatomic Pathology