[Histonet] prefer fixative vs formalin

Sue Barnes SBarnes <@t> elch.org
Wed Oct 25 13:49:58 CDT 2006

We use Prefer in the surgery area and only have formalin on the tissue processor.  We set a delay so that the tissue is in formalin for approximately 6 hours.  The time in prefer is a couple of hours unless the surgery is done on the weekend.  We also use the Ventana for IHC and have had no problems with the staining.  We tried to use only Prefer and had some problems with the IHC but have heard from others who use only Prefer that you have to work with them a little.  There is no need to do retrieval with only Prefer.
We send some specimens out for prognostic markers and they require formalin fixation, but they have had no problems with our tissues.
Hope this helps

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of Heather
Renko
Sent: Monday, October 23, 2006 8:05 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] prefer fixative vs formalin

Hello Fellow Histonetters,

  I am trying to eliminate some of the formalin in our lab and my safety officer has suggested that we can have our outpatient facilities and surgery department send our specimens to us in prefer and then transfer to formalin in our processor.  Any experience and or thoughts on this.  Additionally, what is your experience with switching over completely to prefer??  We run a normal overnight processing, no microwave processing and we do H&E, special stains, and immunohistochemistry on the Ventana platform.  Thank you in advance.