[Histonet] Formalin storage

Tom McNemar TMcNemar <@t> lmhealth.org
Tue Oct 24 09:13:11 CDT 2006

I have a meeting tomorrow to discuss the keeping of formalin in the surgery and L&D areas.  The hospital just had a JCAHO inspection and the inspectors didn't like it very much.  They suggested that the 5 gallon carboys should be stored in hoods or removed from the areas.  They went on to say that all specimens should be taken to Histology as fresh specimens and that the Histology personnel should be the ones putting formalin on the specimens.  The inspectors said that that was how all of the larger hospitals did it but no one that I have spoken to does it that way.

So my question....  Does anybody (or a significant number of you) do it this way?

Personally, I can't see how this can be good for the specimens.  Specimens would have to be delivered immediately and someone would have to be available 24/7 to take care of them.  I just don't see how it can work.  I would appreciate any thoughts.  Thanks.

Tom McNemar, HT(ASCP)
Histology Co-ordinator
Licking Memorial Health Systems
(740) 348-4163