[Histonet] free floating sections

Maria Mejia mbmphoto <@t> gmail.com
Fri May 26 20:50:53 CDT 2006

Hello Atoska,

I section serial sections of monkey & rat brain on the cryostat @
40um. I collect the sections using
24 plate wells containing a solution called "anti-freeze." Each well
has about 2300ul per well (don't over-
fill) This working anti-freeze solution contains:
ethylene glycol - 120ml
gycerol - 120
working PBS (I can't remember the correct amount - will email this
information when I get back to the lab on
Tuesday). When mixing this solution - mix for at least 30 minutes and
store in refrig @ 4C. Solution is stable.

Anyway, when I use the cryostat to cut  brain tissue, I keep a small
glass beaker (50ml size) inside the cryostat
with about 20-30ml of anti-freezer solution. Before I start
sectioning, I dip my sable brush into this solution and
brush the knife surface very close to the edge w/some anti-freeze
solution, not a lot, but just enough so that when
I do take a section it slides on the knife. I then use my brush moist
with anti-freeze to pick-up the section and
place into a plate well until each well has a section. Repeat until
an X number of plate well are used for each case.
We use 5 to 6 plate wells (one plate has 24 wells) per monkey case.

When the case has been completely section, each plate well (each has
ID info) is then sealed with cryo-tape.
The 5 or 6 plates are then stacked on top of each other and wrapped
in aluminum foil with ID info., and sealed
with more cryo-tape. The plates are then placed inside a large enough
plastic box w/lid & ID to hold more than
one case. Box with plate wells are kept in a refrig @ 4C. They will
keep for several years and if sealed properly
this solution will not evaporated. When ever we need to do some
histochemical and/or IHC staining, we simply
remove the sections of interests and wash the sections in 3 changes
of working PBS - 5 minutes each and
proceed with the staining.

I hope this helps and on Tuesday I will email you the complete recipe
for making anti-freeze solution.

P.S. When I finish using the cryostat, I simply wipe any residual
anti-freeze from the knife holder & knife using
kim-wipes with 70% alcohol and then 100% alcohol.

Yours

Maria Bartola Mejia
University of California San Francisco
Department of Neurosurgery