[Histonet] re: spurr embedde sheep spine

Geoff McAuliffe mcauliff <@t> umdnj.edu
Thu May 25 13:37:04 CDT 2006

Hi Caron:

    Are you using the "new" Spurr in which ERL 4206 has been replaced by
ERL 4221? If so, the instructions on how to mix the various components
are almost certainly wrong. All of the vendors I have had experience
with are sending out the wrong formulations, apparently because they
have been told that the 4221 can replace 4206 on a 1:1 basis. Wrong! The
result is a poorly infiltrated block.
    Now, if you are using an older kit with 4206:
1. your accelerator is probably old
2. mixing of components was incomplete
3. the blocks are too big to infiltrate in the time allocated.

I don't think you will be able to harden the blocks you already have,
sorry. Maybe you can cut the blocks, dissolve out the sticky resin and
re-infiltrate with fresh.

Geoff

--
--