[Histonet] DNA/RNA Extraction Kits for paraffinised tissues

louise renton louise.renton <@t> gmail.com
Tue May 23 03:35:54 CDT 2006

Dear Shirley,

My information may be somewhat out of date as it is several years
since I did DNA extration on formalin fixed /praffin embedded tissues,
but at that time I found that the commercial kits (specifically the
ones using spin columns) were not as good as the old fashioned method
of phenol chloroform.

The amount/quality of DNA available is directly related to the type
and length of fixation so harsh unbuffered fixation will degrade the
DNA.

This is my 2 cents worth