[Histonet] RE: Slide labelers

Osborn, Sharon SHARON.OSBORN <@t> SPCORP.COM
Thu May 11 12:02:51 CDT 2006

Kim,
	Experience tells me that your work will increase once you begin
doing any type of automation.  We originally had the TBS slide and
cassette labelers and they were work horses; however time consuming
because of the fine powder generated by etching the slides which we had
to spend lots of time and water washing off.  Note: Thermo-Shandon is
based on the same principle.  The TBS served a purpose for they were the
first major automation for such labeling.  I have also used the
Surgipath and prefer a different system because of the way Surgipath has
you input the data.  Now, we have the SECOND generation of the Leica
Slide printer  and our usage of t has tripled over what was used on the
TBS.  Other departments come to label their slides plus we now label
over 90% of the IHC slides on the printer where due to the dust, etc,
these were done by hand before.
      I want to state here that the first Leica slide printer was such
an improvement over the TBS type system that we felt we were in heaven.
However, due to customer suggestions and some minor irritating problems,
Leica took all these comments to heart and re-engineered the insides of
the printers.  We have received this new slide printer---it is
FANTASTIC!  It is quieter yes, really) than the first one, operates more
smoothly and keeps purring right along. Now, we are waiting with baited
breath for the 2nd generation cassette labeler (Leica,are you
listening?)
	Since this is a major investment anyway, I suggest that you
contact Leica and have them bring them out to demo.   Whatever system
you get, please let me know if the labeling usage increases over your
hand written slides and cassettes.   Automation for labeling certainly
decreases the repetitive motion problems that we can develop.

Sharon Osborn
DNAX, ScheringPlough BioPharma
Palo Alto, CA
650.496.6539