[Histonet] IHC on Cheek cells

Tony Henwood AnthonyH <@t> chw.edu.au
Wed May 10 18:23:19 CDT 2006

Yep,

Though I would use a cell culture fluid like Hanks rather than PBS.
Seems to preserve the cells better.

Regards

Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
The Children's Hospital at Westmead,
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead, 2145, AUSTRALIA.
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Gayle
Callis
Sent: Thursday, 11 May 2006 2:46 AM
To: yan gao; Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] IHC on Cheek cells

We used wooden tongue depressors to scrape cheeks for buccal smears -
that
way you do not have cells trapped in cotton fibers.  There are scrapers,

plastic that may work better, you can still resuspend the cells off the
ends - agitate the tubes containing scraper with a vortex mixer to let
cells go into PBS.

I think you could cytospin the cells onto slides easily.

  At 09:45 AM 5/10/2006, you wrote:

>   Hi, Histonet.
>
>   I  am  staining  phosoph-MEK  on  cheek  cells.  Here is the way how
>   collected  cheek  cells.   I  used  cotton tips scrape inside of
human
>   mouth.   then  I  soak  the  tip  into  the fixative offered by
Thermo
>   shandon for cytospin.  Then I cytospined cells to slides.
>   While  I  stained  pMEK,  I  brought a rabbit IgG with it for
negative
>   control.   I  got  a  positive  stain on cheek cells.  Cells were
very
>   sticky.
>   Anyone  has IHC experience on buccal cells would like share with me,
>   really appreciated.  Thanks a lot.
>
>   Yan Gao
>
>   Novartis

Gayle Callis
MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor
Veterinary Molecular Biology
Montana State University - Bozeman
PO Box 173610
Bozeman MT 59717-3610
406 994-6367
406 994-4303 (FAX)

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender.

Views expressed in this message and any attachments are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of The Children's Hospital at Westmead

This note also confirms that this email message has been
virus scanned and although no computer viruses were detected, the Childrens Hospital at Westmead accepts no liability for any consequential damage resulting from email containing computer viruses.