[Histonet] Disposal of specimens/formalin

Vicki Gauch GauchV <@t> mail.amc.edu
Fri Mar 31 07:48:58 CST 2006

We have been recently informed that our method of disposal for our
formalin filled containers will have to be changed.  Currently we
dispose of the filled containers (specimens and formalin) in double red
biohazard bags which are then put in hardfiber boxes.  I would be very
interested in how other institutions are handling their waste disposal.
Is anyone separating the formalin from the tissues in the containers
prior to discard and if so, what type of procedure are they following to
accomplish this?  Any help would be greatly appreciated since we will
have to implement some plan sooner rather than later.
Thank you,
 Vicki
AMCH

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and any attachments may contain
confidential information that is protected by law and is for the
sole use of the individuals or entities to which it is addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by
replying to this email and destroying all copies of the
communication and attachments. Further use, disclosure, copying,
distribution of, or reliance upon the contents of this email and
attachments is strictly prohibited. To contact Albany Medical
Center, or for a copy of our privacy practices, please visit us on
the Internet at www.amc.edu.