[Histonet] Contaminated Alcohols from VIP processors

Charles.Embrey Charles.Embrey <@t> carle.com
Wed Mar 22 15:33:19 CST 2006

I had the same problem and worked with my sales rep.  I was finally told
that what I was reporting was impossible.  When it was verified by
equipment repair, my rep told me that the bottom line was that Sakura
sold me a tissue processor and it did process tissue.  They made no
promise that I would be able to recycle the reagents so the matter was
closed.  Needless to say, I replaced the VIP with a TBS unit and now
have no problem recycling my alcohol.

Charles Embrey PA(ASCP)

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
bamoe <@t> gundluth.org
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 2:59 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Contaminated Alcohols from VIP processors

Hello all -

Has anyone had experience with contaminated alcohols coming off a
Tissue-Tek VIP processor?

We have two processors - one is a Miles VIP 3000, purchased in 1993, the
other is a Sakura VIP E300 purchased in 1996.
We have started experiencing the problem on both machines.

Our processing schedule utilizes 2 stations each of formalin, 80% ETOH,
recycled 95% ETOH, absolute ETOH (pure, not reagent grade), xylene, 3 or
4
paraffin stations, 1 cleaning xylene, 1 cleaning absolute ETOH.

The formalins and 80% are not contaminated, however the 95% and
absolutes
show cloudiness when flushed with water down the drain. (We are assuming
that it's xylene causing this, but have not done analysis to confirm.)

Preventative maintenance was just done last week on both machines (by
our
in-house biomed personnel) and we still have the cloudiness in the 95%
and
absolute alcohols.

We have ruled out any problems with our recycler and know that the
alcohols
are clean when they are put on the processor.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Barb Moe
Gundersen Lutheran Medical Center
La Crosse WI
bamoe <@t> gundluth.org