[Histonet] Re: in situ hybridization (bouin's fix)

John A. Kiernan jkiernan <@t> uwo.ca
Tue Mar 14 14:49:43 CST 2006

That's right. Picric acid removes some of the
bases from DNA, exposing deoxyribose units, which
can react as aldehydes. It's not a full-blown
Feulgen hydrolysis, but it's going that way.
Hybridization histochemistry requires the purine
and pyrimidine bases of the DNA in the tissue to
be all present and correct, to pair with those of
the probe. If you're using in situ hybridization
to detect messenger RNA, then Bouin's may well be
even more destructive because acid hydrolysis
breaks RNA into soluble fragments.

John Kiernan
Anatomy, UWO
London, Canada