[Histonet] Re: in situ hybridization (bouin's fix)

Johnson, Teri TJJ <@t> Stowers-Institute.org
Tue Mar 14 13:20:46 CST 2006

Carlos,

I have not performed ISH on Bouin's fixed samples yet.  Frankly, I think
it's a good idea to stay away from Bouins because of the acetic acid in
the fixative. Most ISH protocols warn against using acid decalcifiers on
samples slated for ISH.  If that is all you have to work with, I would
use a standard ISH protocol and make no modifications and see if you get
any result.  Make sure you use sense and anti-sense probe and compare
the two.  Make sure you use a sample known to be positive for your
target of interest.

Are you using DNA or RNA probes, and is your target cellular DNA,
cellular RNA, or viral?

Teri Johnson, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Managing Director Histology Facility
Stowers Institute for Medical Research