[Histonet] negative immunohistochemistry control

Katri Tuomala katri <@t> cogeco.ca
Wed Mar 8 19:17:57 CST 2006

Almost in any given tissue (i.e. your positive control) has tissue
components that do not and should not express the antigen you are staining
for, so why run an extra slide for that? Doing the test slide by omitting
the primary with the harshest retrieval, will give you all the information
you need to show, that your procedure is working and if any non specific
staining appears in your negative control slide, you would have to
investigate further.

Katri

Katri Tuomala
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrea T. Hooper" <anh2006 <@t> med.cornell.edu>
To: "Jackie M O'Connor" <Jackie.O'Connor <@t> abbott.com>; "Histonet"
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 1:12 PM
Subject: Re: [Histonet] negative immunohistochemistry control

Peptide inhibibtion is a good control to ensure
your antibody can be adsorbed by your antigen but
it does not tell you whether or not your antibody
will non-specifically bind to your tissue. It is
a good but not a sufficient control.

The best control is to stain tissue which DOES
NOT express your antigen, it should be negative.