[Histonet] negative immuno histochemistry control

Andrea T. Hooper anh2006 <@t> med.cornell.edu
Wed Mar 8 12:21:50 CST 2006

I respectfully disagree in most cases. But then again I am a stickler
for negative controls and precise interpretation of results.

Most of the background one would see with antibodies on tissues
(assuming the concentrations are reasonable from 0.1-10 ug/ml and
without ridiculous amplification and one is not using unpurified
serum but instead somehow purified antibodies or tissue culture
supernatant) is from Fc binding to endogenous Fc receptors in the
tissue. Fc is much conserved from animal to animal within the same
species, so using IgG from another animal is just fine and is in fact
necessary.

Antibody diluent is NOT ENOUGH to be robust negative control in your
interpretation. All that tells you is what background your secondary
antibody or detection system is contributing. It tells you NOTHING
about the behaviour of your primary immunoglobulin species whatsoever.

That being said, I am not in a clinical lab I don't know what the CAP
regulations are specifically so my opinion is merely just that :)