[Histonet] negative immuno histochemistry control

Dawson, Glen GDawson <@t> dynacaremilwaukee.com
Wed Mar 8 08:24:30 CST 2006

Although this is a good point, I don't think this is optimal unless the
normal serum or pre-immune that is used for the negative is from the exact
same animal/supernatant that the antibody is drawn from with the antibody
seperated out.  Throwing in something "else" is bringing another factor into
the equation.  How is a person to know that the "exceptable" negative was
collected correctly or that it is not contaminated.

That being said, I myself do the above to remain CAP compliant.  I used to
do the antibody diluent for whichever antibody I was using for the negative
control & I still think it's the most logical thing to do.  By using diluent
as the negative & keeping all other steps/reagents the same as the antibody
you are running, you are ensuring that it is, indeed, something in the
concentrated antibody that is causing staining not seen on the negative.

Just My Opinion,

Glen Dawson  BS, HT & QIHC (ASCP)
IHC Manager
Milwaukee, WI