[Histonet] CLIA REGS RE: Grossing: Chime In

Luck, Greg D. LuckG <@t> empirehealth.org
Fri Mar 3 12:47:45 CST 2006

Charles,
In answer to the question below about requirements for "non-pathologists
grossing" you cited the specific text from CLIA '88 (493.1489) which states
the requirements for "analyzing patient samples" but I don't see how that
strictly translates to "grossing" (in particular when we may be talking
about the simple transfer of an entire specimen into tissue cassettes with a
visual description and simple specimen prep and set-up as in reducing the
sizes of the sample to be processed; e.g. bisection with a scalpel.
Wouldn't simple (where the entire specimen is submitted and no independent
decision has to be made over what portions of the specimen to submit and/or
not submit for micro exam by the pathologist be analogous for example to a
Micro lab aid who does this on tissue cultures.  "Grossing" by your comment
below does not differentiate between shave biopsy and a prostatectomy.
Where in CLIA does it's 'text' specifically state what constitutes
"grossing" and who can or can not perform CLIA's definition of grossing.
For those of us less familiar with the federal register can you provide
me/us with the specific text from the federal register that you cite in your
response to the 2nd question of "does measuring cores and placing them in a
cassette count as grossing?" to which you have said yes it does.  Thanks,
Greg
Greg Luck, BS, HT(ASCP)
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Deaconess Medical Center