More on Re: [Histonet] RE: DAB disposal[Scanned]

Joe Nocito jnocito <@t> satx.rr.com
Tue Jun 13 19:01:48 CDT 2006

Emma,
you're excused (kidding). I need to contact the company hauling off my
xylene/alcohol waste. Other than using the DAB OUT, which I heard clogs the
DAB OUT fast because of the liquid coverslip, I'm trying to think of a way
to reduce the amount of liquid being placed into the barrel. We run two
machines three, maybe four times a day. that's a lot of waste.
    Ooops, gotta go, time to clean the restrooms

Joe
----- Original Message -----
From: "Emma JONES" <EJones <@t> Ventanamed.com>
To: "Gayle Callis" <gcallis <@t> montana.edu>
Cc: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 11:57 AM
Subject: RE: More on Re: [Histonet] RE: DAB disposal[Scanned]

Absolutely agree with you. The less waste thrown down the sink the better.

You will notice that Joe said he used the same method I mentioned for his
Dako waste. Maybe they recommended it, or perhaps like myself (excuse me,
Joe for assuming here) it is a method he has heard of and used for a number
of years, for me I knew of it a long time before joining, or even knowing
about Ventana.

Various countries have a variety of methods of disposal, some can afford
disposal companies, some cannot, some have guidelines set up for disposal,
some do not. Within countries there is variation, and yes cost is an issue.
There are certainly kits that can be purchased for use with our instruments
for disposal of waste, but that is up to the individual lab. Ultimately
their preferred method of disposal is determined by their local guidelines.

I too would prefer to see more fixed guidelines, but with such lab/country
variation will this be possible?

If you have any recommendations please share.

Best regards
Emma