More on Re: [Histonet] RE: DAB disposal

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Tue Jun 13 11:15:06 CDT 2006

There has already been a great deal of discussion about this problem, and
specific guidelines are often in place and implemented, even in remote
areas and for small(or large) laboratories.  Have you done a Histonet
Archive search on messages concerning this issue, it is there and been
going on for a LONG time - well over 10 years or more - this is not a new
issue.  Our laboratory has been well aware of DAB treatment for disposal
and did it for a time, but opted NOT to do it long before we were required
by regulation to cease but collect.    This treatment never addressed the
by product issue i.e. what happens to the DAB after chemical
treatment.  Are the byproducts going to be just as bad or worse?

If a laboratory can afford any kind of expensive immunostaining instrument
such you sell, or even if they do manual IHC or other routine stains, then
they should be able to afford collection/disposal services or seek such a
service.

We are a very small user of these compounds you mention i.e DAB, silver,
any heavy metal compounds (chromic acid) even if only 25 mls of the stuff -
it is collected for disposal.  Solvents never go down the drain.  As for
bleaches, detergents, and disinfectants,  wastewater plants do allow
certain things but these are also common to households, not just
laboratories.

As far as I am concerned and there are a lot of others who might
agree,  ALL labs, no matter if they are the "little guy" need to address
and implement chemical waste collection and disposal.    The only time this
could change is an exemption in a locale but laboratories need to find out
if an exemption is in place before the dumping.  Once again, users beware -
check out what is allowed for your area.

  I'm curious - you never said if this is your company's stand for DAB
disposal or if it is just your comment.  Does Ventana advise/tell people to
treat their DAB wastes for drain dumping?  It certainly would not be a good
policy to do so and does not encourage people to be responsible for their
chemical usage.

I liked the idea of one lady's  suggestion to use TBS DAB-Out, maybe that
is an answer and I compliment her on her seeking a solution to the problem.

Gayle Callis HTL, HT, MT(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor
Veterinary Molecular Biology
Montana State University