[Histonet] RE: DAB disposal

Emma JONES EJones <@t> Ventanamed.com
Tue Jun 13 03:57:19 CDT 2006

Hi,
I agree, there are obviously limitations as to what should be thrown =
down the sink, but not all labs have methods of disposal such as =
companies to remove and dispose of. Or the money to invest in dab =
removal systems.
I have worked as a BMS in a number of labs, and I certainly do not know =
of many labs who can capture and contain all their waste formalin whilst =
doing grossing/cut up, contain the waste whilst performing special =
stains, what happens to the xylene, alcohol, silver, and even the dab, =
peroxide etc waste gathered whilst doing immuno manually? How about some =
of the bleaches and detergents used to clean labs, and the disinfectants =
used as infection control? The list goes on.......=20

The method I mentioned as far as I know has been used by a number of =
labs for a long time, not just specifically Ventana. Joe you mentioned =
you had used it, but perhaps in larger quantities.

In a perfect, ideal, environmentally friendly world, we would  not have =
solvents etc, but we don't, and finding companies to remove lab waste =
who do not charge high premiums that NHS labs, can afford is difficult.

Certainly a discussion that needs to be addressed with regulations and =
specific guidelines put firmly in place.

Regards
Emma

F-----Original Message-----rom: =
histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu =