[Histonet] RE: Histonet Digest, Vol 31, Issue 4

Langxingpan langxingpan <@t> pantomics.com
Mon Jun 5 03:06:59 CDT 2006

Dear Paula,

You presumably mean ER/PR IHC scoring system rather than ISH. The key
element in the ER IHC scoring is the percentage of the nuclear staining.
Like many other labs, we set a "positive" ER result at a minimum of 5%
nuclear staining. The scoring includes "-" (<5%), "+" (5%~30%), "++"
(30%~80%) and "+++" (>80%). We also incorporate staining intensity as well,
but this will be recorded with reference to our positive control. Our ER
control is tissue array-based, which contains three cases of "-~+", "++" and
"+++" ER expressers. We produce these and other IHC control arrays. If you
want to have a try, I can send you some of the ER test control

Other people may use 10% of nuclear staining as the threshold for ER
positivity. However, NIH recommends that any positive nuclear ER staining is
considered as a positive result.

Regards,

Langxing Pan, M.D., Ph.D.
Pantomics, Inc.