[Histonet] RE: Can Alk phs be run on peroxidase slides?

C.M. van der Loos c.m.vanderloos <@t> amc.uva.nl
Tue Jul 25 01:50:29 CDT 2006

   Dana,

   Basically  I  think  this  is  possible.  In  the  end  it's a kind of
   sequential double staining. Some remarks:
     * Of course you have to be aware of animal species: if your AP stain
       is  another  mouse  primary you may end up with a cross-reactions.
       This  type  of cross-reaction is not really expected since DAB was
       used   as   chromogen. DAB   reaction   product   has  the  unique
       characteristic of effectively 'sheltering' all immunoreagents used
       in the first staining sequence.
     * If  you  want to be on the safe side with cross-reactions, perform
       HIER (using the same buffer as for the first one) for just 5 min +
       10  min cooldown. This effectively removes or at least destroy all
       your  first  step  reagents while the DAB reaction product remains
       unaffected.
     * A  second streptavidin-biotin detection system is not recommended.
       To  be  on  the  safe  side  use a AP-labeled polymer. In case you
       really  need another streptavidin-biotin detection system, perform
       a  biotin blocking first (avidin 0.1%, 15 min - d-biotin 0.01%, 15
       min, or a commercial biotin blocking kit).
     * Given for example that your first DAB stain is cytoplasmic and the
       second  AP  stain  is nuclear, AP in red with Liquid Permanent Red
       (Dako) is a good choice.
     * Destaining  of a DAB-stained slide will be a very hard job, not to
       say impossible.

   Lots of success,

   Chris van der Loos, PhD
   Dept. of Pathology