[Histonet] glyoxal fixation

Ada Feldman adafeldman <@t> anatechltdusa.com
Fri Jul 14 16:24:13 CDT 2006

As the developers of the Prefer fixative we would like to address
some of the issues.

Interchangeability of glyoxal products: The manufacturer of each
fixative should be able to provide the information necessary to work
with their fixative in conjunction with any other fixative that a lab
may be using. Just as an example, Hollandes is not compatible with
NBF and requires special attention. As for Prefer we can say it is
compatible with the majority of other fixatives, glyoxal or not.

Limited time in the fixative: There is a slight reduction in staining
intensity after several weeks, but increasing staining time corrects
this. So tissues are not rendered unstainable.

Transition period: This is true any time you are switching fixatives
or processing methods.

Eosinophila: Your statements here are true.

Lysis of erythrocytes: True again. It is often seen as an advantage
because diagnostics cells are easier to see.

Breast cancer: It would seem that the improved nuclear morphology
would make marked nuclear variation easier to determine.

Prostate biopsies: Hope you can get a response from any of the
glyoxal users with prostate biopsies. We would be interested  in this
answer also.

Ada T. Feldman, MS, HT/HTL(ASCP)
ANATECH LTD.
1020 Harts Lake Road