[Histonet] Alizarin red color differences

Kemlo Rogerson kemlo.rogerson <@t> waht.swest.nhs.uk
Thu Jul 13 08:48:38 CDT 2006

The Alizarins posses one or more o-diphenol groups which serves as a metal
chelation site. Alizarin Red S forms scarlet lakes with aluminium and barium
and a crimson lake with calcium. Magnesium gives a clear scarlet solution
whilst mercury a clear dark red solution. Alizarin (CI 58000) stains calcium
selectively around pH 12 and Alizarin Red S (CI 580005) at pH 9. Alizarin
Red S is the monosulphanate of Alizarin and what I'm trying to say is that
there are many alizarins.

You may have Alizarin or Alizarin Red S; I am confused why it is yellow.
They work differently and at different pHs; it is dangerous to use something
you aren't sure of.

Kemlo Rogerson
Pathology Manager
Ext  3311
DD   01934 647057
Mob 07749 754194
Pager 07659 597107

I try to avoid looking forward or backward, and try to keep looking upward.
--Charlotte Bronte

This e-mail is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient please accept my apologies; please do not disclose, copy or
distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its
contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please inform
me that this message has gone astray before deleting it. Thank you for your
co-operation