[Histonet] Re: Giemsa Stain

gillian.2.brown <@t> gsk.com gillian.2.brown <@t> gsk.com
Mon Jul 10 02:52:43 CDT 2006

Hi,
Guess no one told me how hard it is as I do make my own.  We do have very
ancient stocks so maybe I wont be able to once the components have gone.

Regards

Gill Brown

RSRICHMOND <@t> aol.com
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
07-Jul-2006 19:08

histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
cc

Subject
[Histonet] Re: Giemsa Stain

Kim Tournear asks >>I'm in need of a recipe for a giemsa stain using the
powder. I also need a recipe for making light green from powder.<<

I've never - in more than 40 years - encountered anyone - including an
intensely giemsophilic research lab 40 years ago - Wolbach's colophonium
rosin and
all - who made up their own Giemsa stain solution from the dry powder.
It's
supposed to be extremely difficult to do. Scrupulous exclusion of water is

essential - that applies to stock bottles of the ready-made solution also.

Kemlo has given you adequate advice about Light Green SF. - And yes,
Kemlo,
many labs on this side of the pond have no books. American science
education
marches on into the new century.

Bob Richmond
Knoxville TN and Gastonia NC