[Histonet] Help Please!! ... with MMA

Lott, Robert Robert.Lott <@t> bhsala.com
Fri Jul 7 09:22:25 CDT 2006

Histonetters,

I have been making Polymethylmethacrylate plastic since I have worked
here.  The idea, as you know, is to embed the bones into a matrix at
least as hard as they are, so that they can be cut into 5 micron
sections.

The trouble I'm having now is that I cannot get the sections to
de-plasticize!

In the past, we have just always simply put them into xylene overnight,
(or even 2x - 20-30 minute changes of acetone when we were in a hurry),
and the PMMA would dissolve so that they could be stained.

Now (since the first of the summer) the plastic will not dissolve.  It's
as if I have created a "super-polymer"!  The thin section of PMMA just
turns to "goo" in any solvent I try!  It is extremely warm and humid in
my laboratory environment, and I believe this has contributed to the
problem!

So far, I have tried the following:

Xylene, acetone, THF (tetrahydrofuran), plain monomer (MMA),
trichloroethelene, 2-methoxyethylacetate, DMF (dimethyformamide), DMSO

Methylethylketone, polyethylene glycol, dichloromethane, hexane,
chloroform, perchlorethelene (from the dry cleaners),

"Goo-gone" (available in the hardware store)

I have also tried all of the above with heat and agitation, as well as
some combinations of the above.

I am at my wit's end!  I must find a way to remove the plastic!

I tried re-making the PMMA with ALL NEW solutions, that had just been
ordered and kept refrigerated.  No luck!  Same gooey mess....cannot
stain them!

Does anyone have any ideas about what may be the problem as well as how
this may be remedied ?

Patty Lott

Orthopedic Research

UAB Medical Center

plott <@t> uab.edu

Confidentiality Notice:
confidential information and intended only for the use of the
individual or entity named in the address. If you are not the
distribution, or copying of this information is strictly
prohibited. If you received this information in error, please
notify the sender and delete this information from your computer
and retain no copies of any of this information.