[Histonet] antigen retrieval on cryosections

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Jan 19 08:51:21 CST 2006

Renée:
  Antigen retrieval or HIER, as you well know, was developed as a technique to compensate for the crosslinkage produced by formalin when fixing tissues.
  If you are using cryosections on unfixed tissue, you just don't need to do
  HIER.
  In the same way that you will not need HIER if using tissues fixed with alcoholic fixatives that will fixed proteins by precipitation and not by crosslinking.
  Summary; you don't need HIER in frozen sections, I never used it and went
  directly to the IHC protocol.
  Hope this will help you!
  René J.

"Till, Renee" <TillRenee <@t> uams.edu> wrote:
  Any helpful hints for keeping cryosections on the slide during antigen
retrieval? I am not very experience in cryosections used for immunos,
but they have cd markers that have to be antigen retrieved. Using the
same retrieval as I do however often makes the sections come off the
slides. I believe they use just Superfrost Plus slides. Would any other
type of slide help? Right now they use Citra Plus in the microwave for 2
minutes on power 10, then 10 minutes on power 1. That is what I do for
my paraffin sections and it is fine. Perhaps less time? Or even a
different antigen retrieval solution? I have asked for help with
problems before that this lab has had. They always hire techs for
everthing else and want me to teach them the histo part of it.