[Histonet] RE: paraformaldehyde crystals v Prills

David A. Wright dw18 <@t> uchicago.edu
Tue Jan 17 16:15:08 CST 2006

Histonet Digest, Vol 26, Issue 19 Message: 2

Hello All

It may not help Carl in the UK (I see you are at King's
College, London)  but we have tried various suppliers'
paraformaldehyde and much prefer Fisher Scientific's own brand
(T353-500) precisely because it is a fine prill - particulate
enough not to blow away easily but fine enough to dissolve
"easily".

In my experience though, no suppliers' paraformaldehyde ever
disssolves completely (there is always a fine haze,presumably
of high MW polymer) in a timescale that I find acceptable.  It
will settle out, so if you are happy to decant/pipet off the
clear supernatant the next day, that may be ok, but I use it
for brain perfusions and worry about clogged capillaries.  I
always vacuum filter it through a Buechner Funnel but this is
time consuming and takes a lot of filters unless you want to
watch your formaldehyde de-gas down the vacuum line.  So for
this reason alone (avoiding filtration) it is probably a very
  good idea to follow John Kiernan's formalin suggestion,
especially if you only need a small amount.

This, however raises the question of why you are repeatedly
making small amounts if you don't like messing with the
powder.  Contrary to rumo[u]r, buffered paraformaldehyde keeps
very well (as Dr Kiernan has pointed out - see the archives);
 I have often used it after several months in the cold and
found the fixation to be excellent. Just check the pH first.

A second point is that, from the variations in the protocol he
tried, I'm not sure that Carl understands the desirability of
using NaOH in the prep.  The paraformaldehyde polymer
hydrolyses faster at basic than neutral pH.  If a small amount
of alkali is added simultaneously with or after the PBS
tablet, the pH will not be basic enough to have this effect.
The NaOH must be added first and the PBS only added once the
PFA is in solution.  I prefer to use dibasic sodium or
potassium phosphate as this directly gives a basic solution
(pH 10-11) in which the PFA dissolves easily (15-20 min at ca.
50°C) and then I neutralize with phosphoric acid once the
solution clears.

I hope this helps
cheers
-David