[Histonet] RE: Eosin too pink

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Fri Jan 13 14:57:01 CST 2006

Paul made good suggestions here. Remember that carryover of eosin into the
first 95% alcohol rinse can become excessive, so rotating or changing the
95% alcohol stations should be done more often (we sometimes do this daily
with large volume staining sessions) to ensure proper differentiation or
removal of excess eosin per his suggestion and as it was taught to me
milleniums ago).  If there is excessive carryover of eosin in the 95%,
staining may continue with this dye - resulting is overly red tissues.

If there is any pink or red tinge in the 100% alcohol or last station
before clearing not only is dye being moved up the dehydration chain of
events but also water (see Richard Allan website , go to their product
Staining Guide.)