[Histonet] RE: fixation and embedding eyeball

DeBrosse_Beatrice DeBrosse_Beatrice <@t> Allergan.com
Fri Jan 13 10:58:25 CST 2006

Hi Gayle,

We use Paraplast Plus with a melting point at 56 degrees Celsius; the
water temperature is what we use for other tissues, which is around 44
and 48 degrees Celsius.

Beatrice DeBrosse-Serra
HT(ASCP)QIHC
Allergan, Inc.
2525 Dupont Drive RD-2A
Irvine, CA 92612
714-246-5116

-----Original Message-----
From: Gayle Callis [mailto:gcallis <@t> montana.edu]
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2006 8:02 AM
To: DeBrosse_Beatrice; Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Cc: Georger, Mary
Subject: RE: fixation and embedding eyeball

Beatrice,

What paraffin are you using, water bath temperature?  Eyes sometimes
explode on a waterbath, or do not flatten correctly.  Any hints on those

issues?

Also, Mary Georger is an expert in eye histotechniques as she taught ab
excellent hands on workshop some years ago at NSH convention.  If she is

not on Histonet, maybe she would elaborate privately and I could pass
this
on.  Davidson's is a popular fixative for eyes, although she used NBF,
Bouins has be suggested .  With the latter, some do not like the picric
acid additive. The choice of paraffin often helps - Peel a Way is one.

Years ago, AFIP used Peelaway for eyes, and the person doing this
explained
why this paraffin was superior for eyes.  If I recall our discussion
correctly, it is because the paraffin doesn't expand as much as other
paraffins and holds eye structures in place better.   Would anyone
entertain discussion on the physical properties of Peel a Way paraffin?
It
used to come in range of melting points, but not sure what is supplied
now.

At 08:24 AM 1/13/2006, you wrote:
>What kind of fixative are you using? We use Davidson's fixative for our
>eyes (including dogs), embed them in paraffin, cut them at 4 microns
and
>the structure of the eye stays together beautifully. Good luck!
>
>Beatrice DeBrosse-Serra

Gayle Callis
Research Histopathology Supervisor
Veterinary Molecular Biology