[Histonet] Disciplinary plan

Molinari, Betsy BMolinari <@t> heart.thi.tmc.edu
Fri Jan 13 05:38:19 CST 2006

One more suggestion, we had this problem and the tech had her eyes
checked and found she needed glasses. The result in the lab was
immediate.

Betsy Molinari HT (ASCP)
Texas Heart Institute
Cardiovascular Pathology
6770 Bertner Ave.
Houston,TX 77030
832-355-6524
832-355-6812 (fax)

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of louise
renton
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2006 1:04 AM
To: connie grubaugh; Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Disciplinary plan

Connie,

This is my take on the problem: Whereas I agree that discipline might
be one avenue to correct your problem, it might be important to also
bear in mind that many so called "errors" are based on poor
understanding of the processes and importance of the task. Instead of
"cracking the whip",  education as to the dire effects of mislabelling
and involvement of the problem individual in solving the problem
itself can be  of assistance. Assuming that all employees have the
same priorities as management is dangerous as is the assumption that
all histotechs are created equal and aresufficiently experienced to be
 readily able to distinguish a vas deferns from a non-descript piece
of tissue at a glance.
It sounds like your lab is a fairly high pressured set-up, keep  in
mind that not all individuals are geared to work at the same pace with
the same degee of accuracy.  They might well work better at a slightly
less pressured pace. If you want a maximal  degree of consistency hire
a robot! (On the other hand, perhaps your tech is bored and needs
something more challenging).

So my suggestion are: Try to:
1. Determine why there is a problem with this tech - and whether they
are long term (attention deficit, poor numeracy) or not (sometimes
poor work performance is related to personal issues)
2. Educate and explain HOW things are done in your lab,  WHY they are
done just so and WHAT the consequences are of failing to do thenm the
right way. Re train if necessary
3. Offer alternative duties - less cutting & labelling, more
embedding, or alternatively more challenge.

These are my thoughts and are not in any way intended to impugn your
management style
Best regards

On 1/13/06, connie grubaugh <conniegrubaugh <@t> hotmail.com> wrote:
> We need any and all suggestions to implement a disciplinary plan for
slide
> labeling errors.  99% of the time the errors are caught by the person
that
> is labeling the slides and checking them with the blocks and reports
before
> they leave the lab.  But we have a on going problem with one tech that
> mislabeled slides or does not label them at all.  We process around
400
> blocks a day and on a regular day there can be any where from 2-8
cases of
> slides that are mislabeled.  Since we are a reference lab and have
drivers
> waiting to take the slides to the doctors at hospitals around the
valley
> this has slowed us up.  Also for improper embedding of specimens.
Obvious

--
Louise Renton
Bone Research Unit