[Histonet] Slide Press?

Rittman, Barry R Barry.R.Rittman <@t> uth.tmc.edu
Tue Jan 10 15:17:12 CST 2006

Amy
We had a similar problem with ground sections and also sheets of
epithelium from mouse ears.
Our solution was to use weights made by cutting solid brass cylinders
(3/4" diameter and 2" long) and placing these weights over the area
under the cover glass where section was located. This worked very well
for us even if sections were slightly wedge shaped. This also allows you
to add additional mountant if air tends to creep in.
Barry

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Gayle
Callis
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 1:56 PM
To: Amy Porter; Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Slide Press?

We placed are slides between sheets of polyethylene (cut from a thicker
baggie) with a sheet between each slide, then clamped the slides between

pieces of wood so as to NOT break the glass slides, using C clamps from
hardward store to apply pressure evenly. Clamps come in all sizes, but
one
can find them at Walmart too.

You can be as creative on this as you want - something cheap, fast and
efficient.

At 12:20 PM 1/10/2006, you wrote:
>I have had a question posed to me by our e.m. technician about a "slide

>press" to weigh down section of bone that have been embedded in
>resin.  Does anyone out there know what this is or know of a vendor
where
>one may be purchased.  Thanks in advance for all of the responses.
>
>Amy S. Porter, HT(ASCP) QIHC - Supervisor
>Michigan State University
>Laboratory for Investigative HistoPathology
>Department of Physiology / Division of Human Pathology
>2100 Biomedical Physical Sciences Bldg. Room #2133
>East Lansing, MI  48824-3320
>Phone:  (517) 355-6475 ext 1480 / Fax:  (517) 432-1368
>Email:  portera <@t> msu.edu
>www.humanpathology.msu.edu

Gayle Callis
Research Histopathology Supervisor