[Histonet] optimal thickness for cutting of IHC sections

Poteete, Jacquie A. japoteete <@t> saintfrancis.com
Tue Jan 3 11:50:12 CST 2006

We use 4 µm for everything unless the pathologist wants a thinner section.
I haven't cut a thicker section in over 5 years.

Jacquie Poteete MT(ASCP)QIHC
Lead Technologist, IHC Laboratory
Saint Francis Hospital, Tulsa, OK
japoteete <@t> saintfrancis.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Rene J Buesa [mailto:rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 10:12 AM
To: Harrison, Sandra C.; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] optimal thickness for cutting of IHC sections

Sandy:
  A 5 µm thichness is the general standard for most laboratories and we used
it, BUT
  (there is always a "but" isn't it) if we were targeting a nuclear epitone
we  tried a
  little thicker (6-7 µm) and for cytoplasmic ones we tried somewhat thinner
(ca. 4 µm).
  This approach was also used for histochemistry procedures: at least 6-7 µm
for
  reticulum staining in bone marrows.
  I hope this will help you!
  René J.

"Harrison, Sandra C." <Sandra.Harrison3 <@t> va.gov> wrote:
  Hi Histonetters,

Is 5 microns the norm for IHC sections? What is considered optimal?

Thanks,

Sandy