[Histonet] Slide Printers

Osborn, Sharon SHARON.OSBORN <@t> SPCORP.COM
Wed Feb 8 14:06:03 CST 2006

Rebecca,
	Several months ago, I did a post about the Leica printers (not
labelers).  Both the Leica and Sakura were developed through a joint
partnership agreement in the beginning so they began life as the same
printers with different company names and different software operation.
Leica custom made their software while Sakura used an off the shelf software
for operation of the printers.  I do not know about Sakura in the past year
or their contract about the upgrades, etc. so I canot speak any further on
that.  However, Leica has listened to the customer and made tremendous
improvements, upgrades, etc for better operation of the printers.  We
originally had the TBS etch slides and burn labels cassettes.  It was the
best of its time and for years, the only item out there.  However, the Leica
is wonderful!  The service is responsive in answering questions or doing
needed work.
	I encourage you to check closely into whether Sakura has kept up
with all the improvements and upgrades.  I can whole heartedly recommend the
Leica printers for ease of use, speed, cleanliness (NO DUST on the slides
that has to be washed off!)  These are printers because they use a patented
technology of a printer with special ink that is cured with a UV light
before released for our use.  They are clear to read, fairly quiet and
operator friendly.  Our researchers and post docs have been trained to use
the equipment(they also used the TBS).  When these came, they all but
brought us flowers for making the work so much easier and cleaner.

sharon osborn
histology
DNAX, SP BioPharma
Palo Alto, CA