[Histonet] penfix

Dennis Gianotti d.gianotti <@t> comcast.net
Wed Feb 22 17:47:59 CST 2006

Is there another fixative that might be better for fatty breasts besides
penfix? We currently use penfix, but we are looking for better options
if they are out there. We fix the cassettes of breast tissue in penfix
for 3 hours before we put them in formalin and onto the processors.
Occasionally, we still have to reprocess breast tissue and we are trying
to avoid this. Yes, the PA's are trying to cut thin sections and not
pack the cassettes. We process about 300 breast cassettes or more per
day and try to spread them between 3 VIP processors amid our other gyne
and placenta tissues.
thanks for any suggestions