[Histonet] Microwave processing

Luck, Greg D. LuckG <@t> empirehealth.org
Wed Feb 22 16:28:17 CST 2006

Fax 509.473.7133
luckg <@t> empirehealth.org
www.deaconessmedicalcenter.org

-----Original Message-----
From: John PJ Coleman [mailto:jcolclefa <@t> aol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 2:04 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Microwave processing

I am the Senior tech of a large hospital corporation.  My administration has
just won funding for 4 Sakura Microwave rapid processing units. We run FISH
her 2 on formalin fixed paraffin embedded tissue as per FDA protocol. As I
tech, I am not in favor of tossing routine processing wholesale in favor of
a completely new technology without thorough testing and parallel
processing. Also, we are a regional reference lab for IHC and have a panel
of 115 antibodies, all optimized for formalin fixed paraffin embedded
tissue. We run an average of 350 IHC slides a day, max 580 per day and would
have to re-optimize these to use in the new formalin free world while
keeping our FFPE procedures in parallel for our reference lab work. Much
like running 2 labs. If anyone has any insight, or if anyone currently uses
these instruments for routine and/or IHC, feel free to call or email, and
I'll check the postings on this string. We are also taking invitations to
come out and see these things in use real time.

John PJ Coleman-757 335-2159
http://members.cox.net/captainmadman/
http://journals.aol.com/jcolclefa/Waytoomuchboringcraptosayusually/