[Histonet] Microwave processing

John PJ Coleman jcolclefa <@t> aol.com
Wed Feb 22 16:04:12 CST 2006

I am the Senior tech of a large hospital corporation.  My
administration has just won funding for 4 Sakura Microwave rapid
processing units. We run FISH her 2 on formalin fixed paraffin embedded
tissue as per FDA protocol. As I tech, I am not in favor of tossing
routine processing wholesale in favor of a completely new technology
without thorough testing and parallel processing. Also, we are a
regional reference lab for IHC and have a panel of 115 antibodies, all
optimized for formalin fixed paraffin embedded tissue. We run an
average of 350 IHC slides a day, max 580 per day and would have to
re-optimize these to use in the new formalin free world while keeping
our FFPE procedures in parallel for our reference lab work. Much like
running 2 labs. If anyone has any insight, or if anyone currently uses
these instruments for routine and/or IHC, feel free to call or email,
and I'll check the postings on this string. We are also taking
invitations to come out and see these things in use real time.

John PJ Coleman-757 335-2159
http://members.cox.net/captainmadman/
http://journals.aol.com/jcolclefa/Waytoomuchboringcraptosayusually/