Fw: [Histonet] Do you love your job?

Ian Montgomery ian.montgomery <@t> bio.gla.ac.uk
Wed Feb 22 04:18:12 CST 2006

Peggy,
            Been a Histologist for 39 years and 6 months what do I think?
Against, low pay and long hours. For, like others, the sheer joy of looking
at stained sections. If, just once in your career, you prepare a section and
see structures that are of textbook quality that's enough. For me, a loop of
Henle, the perfect example stained with Masson. Receptors in the skin
stained with silver, Meissner, Krause, Golgi, ring and whorl and free
endings at the stratum basale. A modified Mallory demonstrating the cells in
the anterior pituitary. Better still, having in your collection slides that
were prepared in the 1800's and still works of extreme beauty. Plus, the joy
of lecturing. Standing in a lecture theatre or classroom and waxing
lyrically on a subject you enjoy and hoping that this enthusiasm reaches
some of the students. Then pride at the end when students tell you they
really enjoyed the lecture and that they now have a clearer understanding of
the topic.
    No doubt your new career will have its peaks and troughs but if you
start in a forward thinking lab with good technicians then the love of the
subject will remain.
Ian.

>>> "Peggy Brask" <pbrask <@t> comcast.net> 02/21/06 08:28AM >>>
I am a second semester student at Argosy University in the HT program.  I
was wondering what the pros and cons are in the Histonet world.  I have been
in the service industry in one form or another for the last 30 years.  This
is a total diversion from my past life and I would like to know what you
love about your job and what you hate about your job. If anyone would like
to give me some input, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, Peggy