[Histonet] carcinoma vs. adenocarcinoma

Kemlo Rogerson kemlo.rogerson <@t> waht.swest.nhs.uk
Mon Feb 20 02:37:40 CST 2006

Cytologicaly?

Well an adenocarcinoma is a carcinoma of glandular cells; usually, but not
always, illustrated by cells with a malignant nucleus eccentrically placed.
The cytoplasm is whispy and may be vacuolated (not always) and the cells may
be arranged in three dimensional clumps (not always); you may or may not
notice a 'glandular' arrangement to the clump and there maybe a lack of
polarity to the nuclear direction (they are pointing in different
directions), there may be variation in nuclear size (anisonucleosis) with
hyperchromasia (dark staining chromatin) or not.

A carcinoma (if you are thinking of a squamous lesion) has usually a
centrally placed malignant nucleus with 'hard' cytoplasm (sometimes
keratinised, sometimes not). The cells have a tendency to be in 'sheets' but
not always; anisonucleosis and hyperchromasia may also be exhibited or not.

Depends how well differentiated the tumour is I suppose as a very poorly
differentiated adenocarcinoma may look very similar to a very poorly
differentiated carcinoma (squamous). Undifferentiated adeno and squamous
carcinomas can look identical, or not! This is a very simplistic
explaination.......

IMHO as a mere Cytologist. If the above were true all the time, then
Cytology would be easy most of the time.

Kemlo Rogerson
Pathology Manager
Ext  3311
DD   01934 647057