[Histonet] Re: blue mucin

Kemlo Rogerson kemlo.rogerson <@t> waht.swest.nhs.uk
Tue Feb 14 02:51:07 CST 2006

Doesn't that just get round the problem of 'over-oxidised' stain? Is that
not just curing the symptoms but the problem remains that the haematoxylin
is over oxidised?

Kemlo Rogerson
Weston General Hospital
Pathology Manager
Ext  3311
DD   01934 647057
Mob 07749 754194

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Henwood [mailto:AnthonyH <@t> chw.edu.au]
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2006 10:07 PM
To: Michael LaFriniere; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Re: blue mucin

Michael,

The mucin staining is a function of the Hematoxylin pH. Lowering the pH
(usually by adding acetic acid) can significantly reduce mucin staining.

Regards

Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
The Children's Hospital at Westmead,
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead, 2145, AUSTRALIA.
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318