[Histonet] Re: blue mucin

Kemlo Rogerson kemlo.rogerson <@t> waht.swest.nhs.uk
Tue Feb 14 02:35:28 CST 2006

>From my dim memory I think what is happening is that your haematoxylin is
acting as a 'basic' stain (or is it acid?). Normally, as you know, haematin
would not stain nucleic acids as it is acidic; the aluminium acts as a
mordant as nucleic acids are siderphilic (metal loving).

When haematin 'over-oxidises' it forms oxyhaematin and that will stain
structures such as mucin and cytoplasm. I've found a new batch of recently
prepared or stabilised haematoxylin is usually the answer; have I got me
acids and bases the correct way round?

Or am I just talking rubbish?

Kemlo Rogerson
Pathology Manager
Ext  3311
DD   01934 647057
Mob 07749 754194

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael LaFriniere [mailto:mlafrini <@t> csmlab.com]
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2006 6:21 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Re: blue mucin

Any help would be appreciated....

I am noticing recently on routine H&E sections, the mucin on colon
biopsies only, demonstrating a strong blue color....I know the mucin is
picking up the hematoxylin stain and not differentiating in the acid
rinse. I was wondering if anybody has demonstrated this recently and the
possible corrections to end this aggravation. This leads me to believe
that it may be something with the patient prep prior to the biopsy? I am
using the Richard Allen (7221) Hematoxylin and routine reagents.  Any
suggestions would be greatly welcomed!

Thank you

Michael R. LaFriniere
Executive Director