[Histonet] Re: blue mucin

Michael LaFriniere mlafrini <@t> csmlab.com
Mon Feb 13 12:21:13 CST 2006

Any help would be appreciated....

I am noticing recently on routine H&E sections, the mucin on colon
biopsies only, demonstrating a strong blue color....I know the mucin is
picking up the hematoxylin stain and not differentiating in the acid
rinse. I was wondering if anybody has demonstrated this recently and the
possible corrections to end this aggravation. This leads me to believe
that it may be something with the patient prep prior to the biopsy? I am
using the Richard Allen (7221) Hematoxylin and routine reagents.  Any
suggestions would be greatly welcomed!

Thank you

Michael R. LaFriniere
Executive Director