[Histonet] Does anyone have any suggestions for gettingbrain tissue (human) to stay on the slides?

Weems, Joyce JWEEMS <@t> sjha.org
Sat Feb 11 18:21:46 CST 2006

I've found that putting them on plus slides, air drying overnight, then drying in an oven the usual - 20-30 minutes works. I have only had experience with human.
Joyce

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu on behalf of Laurie Reilly
Sent: Sat 2/11/2006 12:33 AM
To: Barb Nuernberger; Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Does anyone have any suggestions for gettingbrain tissue (human) to stay on the slides?

Dear Barb and Histonetters,
Brain tissue does have a tendency to wash off the slide. This does seem to
vary with the species  -  human and sheep have given me the most angst.
We sub the slides with glycerine-albumin for all our brain sections.
Then we dry the sections in an oven at 37C for many hours, preferably
overnight.
(our usual practice for other sections, including brain from other species,
is to dry at 60C for 30 minutes)

Hope this helps.  Regards,     Laurie.

At 11:34 AM 10/02/2006 -0500, Barb Nuernberger wrote:
>Does anyone have any suggestions for getting brain tissue (human) to
>stay on the slides?
>Fixation?
>
>Barb

Mr.Laurie Reilly                                              Ph 07 4781 4468
School of Veterinary & Biomedical Science      Fax  07 4779  1526
James Cook University
Townsville  Qld.
4811                                      laurie.reilly <@t> jcu.edu.au

Australia.