Color coding Re: [Histonet] Avoiding bilaterality mistakes

Gayle Callis gcallis <@t> montana.edu
Mon Feb 6 10:02:11 CST 2006

Color coding has bailed us out of problems many, many times.  This is an
excellent suggestion.  I am very impressed at use of automated slide
labeling IF specimen volume/workload and budget allows it, it certainly is
easier on the hands too.

At 07:18 AM 2/6/2006, you wrote:
>After our recent near miss on a bilateral breast case ( see fridays post
>:What
>   are peoples feelings on pre labling slides?) we will be using different
> colored
>   cassettes and matching slides for each side. I got this idea from Joyce
> Weems who told me she uses colored agar markers for laterality ( Thanks
> Joyce). This should
>   help to prevent confusion at the grossing, cutting and reading stages.
> Thanks to all
>   who answered my first post. I thought I would share what I hope is a
> good solution.
>Stephen Peters M.D.

Gayle Callis HTL, HT, MT(ASCP)
Research Histopathology Supervisor