[Histonet] paraffin "stuff"???

Jackie M O'Connor Jackie.O'Connor <@t> abbott.com
Thu Feb 2 14:30:05 CST 2006

There always seems to be some kind of dirt in paraffin, no matter who the
manufacturer is - it's not created in a sterile environment by any means.
Dirt or dust is bound to get in during the manufacturing/packaging
process.  (Did you ever check to see how many insect parts are allowed by the FDA in a jar of baby applesauce?)   Anyway, you've got a screen
filter in the bottom of your embedding center to filter out the chunks,
right?  There is always some "dark stuff" when you wipe that tank out from
time to time, right?  Dirt.  If it gets in your block during embedding,
you'll know by the unexplained scratches in your sections.  I've never
known this cosmic dust to create any real problems during
processing/infiltration - sometimes the gunk you wipe out of the
infiltration pots are carryover from all the processing, little
collections of tissue debris and the like.  Just keep your equipment clean
and wipe that stuff out when you see it - and check out the stuff about
bugs in baby food, that's WAY more interesting.   All processed food is
allowed a certain amount of foreign matter before it's rejected - and that
IS supposed to be a much cleaner manufacturing process.  The moral of the
story - grow your own.  (I don't - my mantra is whatever doesn't kill us
makes us stronger.)
Jackie O'

"Bonner, Janet" <Janet.Bonner <@t> FLHOSP.ORG>
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu